Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 01-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Default where is the thermostat located???

i have a 1996 cavalier z24 with a problem with the thermostat and who knows what else.
yea im sorry i thought it would be in the thermostat housing but its not, isnt that the usual place???. when i tried to put it in the therm housing it fell right into the engine block so im pretty sure that was not right. if that is the right spot what direction does it face.
so then i was told it was at the end of the lower radiator hose so i was following it and it goes all the way behind the oil pan so i wouldnt think it would be in the back, so im so confused and have no clue where it is.
need to get this car running today so any and all help would be great.

thanks in advance.
Unread 01-23-2011, 04:11 AM

The thermostat is mounted at the water pump under the exhaust manifold , at the flange of the steel tube that the lower radiator hose go to and the water pump housing . hope this helps .
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:09 AM

yea after fighting with autozone for about an hour to find a good pic of it and then they finally realize they werent even in the right section(god i hate them all) i finally found it and by the time i got the manifold off and the 2 bolts out it was gettin dark and i could no longer work on it.
if only this site didnt keep getting blocked on my computer i would have been fine and i would have had plenty of time. well this afternoon once i get back from a job interview i hope to have everything fixed. and have it driving because my dd is down with a blown head gasket so thats gonna take a while.
thanks for the help and believe me there will be many more questions to come because this car is almost fallin apart but my brother cant work on his cars so i have to do it for him (that boy cant do anythin hands on).
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to NYCNative

Good luck on fixing your thermostat! I thought that I had to replace mines, thank God I didn't! Because like you, I found out the hard way of where the thermostat is on the 2.3/2.4 twin cam motors! You think that it would be in a more easier accessible place like on the 2.2 liter motors? Hopefully, you can get your car up and running, soon!. . .
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:55 AM

yea well i got my dd running so i been driving that instead of the cav. i only had to spend 2 full days on it, blew the HG and the entire sidewall of the radiator. but it was better to fix it first then the cav because that thing is a bucket of problems. (Need to get it fixed i need to get that thing drivin)
i will prob get the cav running tomarrow morning. and then in a few days find another few problems that need a fix. its been soooo long sence that cav has drivin its gonna be a pain to get her runnin.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to NYCNative

Yeah, I know what you mean about your car. My problems seem minor compared to yours. My car is drivable. On Monday, I am going to get my tie rod end, replaced & my wheels aligned and maybe my rear tires, balanced. And next month, fix my out of round rim. And maybe before summer, replace my fuel pump & fuel tank sending unit.

Last edited by NYCNative; 02-05-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Club Cav Partners