Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Default 2005 Chevy Cavalier Strange Fuel Pump Issue

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my girlfriend's 2005 Cavalier is not well at the moment. I have replaced the fuel pump before on this vehicle. Last week, it quit running. So I ordered a fuel pump from gmpartsdirect.com. It arrived and I went to install it, hooked it all up, and wouldn't you know it, the thing doesn't work. First thing I did was took the old pump and hooked it up to battery power. It worked just fine. So, I swapped the fuel pump relay with the A/C relay (same part number) even though it was clicking when she would turn the key on. Same result. Then I checked for voltage at the rear block where the harness to the fuel pump plugs in. I was getting 12 volts back there. I, unfortunately, was unable to elicit a ground signal from the other pin to the pump. I double checked the connections on the ECM, and nothing out of the ordinary was found. I checked every fuse under the hood and in the panel next to the driver's door. I do not have a service manual showing me where the ground wire goes, but was thinking of pulling up the seat to look at it. Has anyone ever had this problem before? Right now, I wired up a toggle switch for her to flip on in the morning until I can get it to work right. Any and all help appreciated. I know I'm getting 12 volts to the pump, so I guess I need to know where that ground wire goes.

Nick
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Hate to say it but you'll need the serive manual that gives you all of the electrical schematics you'll need to trace out the grounds etc.
Here's a link of the manual online that you can download for free.
I uploaded this for others to have access to information they need to work on their cars so have at it and good luck with your car.
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnblu View Post
Hate to say it but you'll need the serive manual that gives you all of the electrical schematics you'll need to trace out the grounds etc.
Here's a link of the manual online that you can download for free.
I uploaded this for others to have access to information they need to work on their cars so have at it and good luck with your car.
Sweet. Do you know if this manual (which reads through 2001 will work for her 2005?)
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

It's close enough so that you'll be able to do what you need to do.
There's very little that changed in those years electrically and all of the more standard electrical items have been on the wiring harness for 10 years.
Good luck to ya.
Unread 02-07-2011, 03:41 AM

Thankfully I was able to fix the problem. I will now describe that process.

First thing I did was re-check the resistance from terminal #30 from the fuel pump relay under the hood to the fuel pump positive wire just before it enters the fuel tank harness (thanks to a wire I had soldered in just for the emergency occasion if this darn thing decides not to work again. Saved my butt the next day) I just about dropped my jaw when my multimeter read 700 K Ohms. Then I traced the harness back into the firewall. The fuel pump + wire then went into connector 200 (in the driver's kickpanel) at terminal W. I noted excessive melting at terminal W upon closer inspection. I checked resistance from this terminal on the distal end from the relay before it splits from the wiring harness into the fuel pump branch and checked back at terminal #30 underhood. The same 700 K Ohm reading! I checked the proximal side of the connector (closer to the fuel pump relay) and found that the reading was erratic. I checked the distal end to the wire that I had soldered in just prior to the fuel tank harness and got .3 Ohms, a very solid reading for 15 feet of wire. At this point, I soldered in line some 12 Gauge wire from terminal # 30, fished it through the firewall by the harness entry point, and soldered it up to bypass connector 200. It works great now. The connector was beyond repair short of using epoxy to hold it in place. I prefer solder to any friction fit connector anytime. And the best part is that I don't have to let the gf use my truck anymore. :) And many thanks for the link to the haynes electrical diagrams. :)
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM

good job on the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master D View Post
"DUDE! It's an RK SPORT lip kit"
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
good job on the fix.
Thanks man. I was a little surprised at how melted the fuel pump terminal was in that connector. I've worked on many vehicles, but I cannot remember ever seeing a terminal THAT melted.

Club Cav Partners