Left Nav Register User Pics Groups Videos Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   ClubCav.com: Chevy Cavalier Forums, Cavalier Forum Specific Technical Discussion Maintenance

Unread 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM
edefelic

Default 2003 Cavalier: How do I remove the driver's side airbag?

I'm trying to replace my driver's side airbag on my 2003 Cavalier and cannot figure out how to get the old one off. I removed the two torx head screws from the back of the steering wheel, but that only freed up the plastic trim on the back.

Any suggestions?

-Gene
Unread 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

Hanynes manual or the Chiltons manual will give you step by step instructions on how to remove the air bags.
Unread 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
edefelic

Yes. A trip to the library after work. That's the ticket.

But still, if anyone knows the trick to getting this thing off, you can please spare me the trip.

-Gene
Unread 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
OG Admin/ Mod so behave

It's a pain.
I had to remove mine since I went with an aftermarket steering wheel.
I had to use the book to remove mine and can't really remember how I did it.
I did wind up cutting the wires to the airbag system and then running them out of the back of the column where I tied them off.

Good luck with it.
Unread 02-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to SHOoff Send a message via Yahoo to SHOoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by edefelic
Yes. A trip to the library after work. That's the ticket.

But still, if anyone knows the trick to getting this thing off, you can please spare me the trip.

-Gene
Patience is a good thing here. If someone tells you the trick, and makes a little mistake.... it wont feel good when that bag explodes and hits you in the face at 200mph. It's best to just be patient and get the service manual.
Unread 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
edefelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOoff
it wont feel good when that bag explodes and hits you in the face at 200mph. It's best to just be patient and get the service manual.
It already did that!

That's why I am trying to replace it.

I went to the library and looked it up in the book that they had. It just said to remove the two screws from the back. But that was wrong.

After investigating some more I saw that there are four spring loaded clips (well really just two long ones that clip at four points) that needed to be pried back with a flat blade and the airbag just popped right out.

-Gene
Unread 02-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Ok, but I would still suggest the manual. If you're replacing it, remember that the new bag still contains an explosive.
Unread 02-05-2007, 05:30 AM
edefelic

The airbags are replaced and pass all of the diagnostic checks.

Thanks to those who tried to be helpful, but "read the manual" and "be careful" fail to answer the posted question. Someone scanning and posting the appropriate pages from their manual or telling me to look for the clips would have been much more helpful advice.

Thanks again.

-Gene
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:56 PM

I'm not scanning a page every time someone needs help. It's much easier for them to just buy a manual.

But then again, apparently some people are too cheap to afford one, or a library card. And incapable of fending for themselves (hence why we have welfare). And therefore are too cheap and/or dumb to be doing vehicle maintenance, and should sell their car and get a huffy. This process will also help reduce further airbag detonations.
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
edefelic

Quote:
I'm not scanning a page every time someone needs help. It's much easier for them to just buy a manual.
Sure. But would it have taken that much longer to be helpful by referencing YOUR manual and posting a useful reply?

Quote:
But then again, apparently some people are too cheap to afford one, or a library card.
If you would take the time to read my earlier post you will see that I did go to the library, and referenced the manual. It was incorrect!

Quote:
And incapable of fending for themselves (hence why we have welfare). And therefore are too cheap and/or dumb to be doing vehicle maintenance, and should sell their car and get a huffy. This process will also help reduce further airbag detonations.
WTF?? I've been on the Toyota Van, Subaru Legacy, and Dodge Minivan boards for years and have always found helpful people with helpful advice. What's with you?

Club Cav Partners